Four times Mayor of Drogheda Frank Godfrey has accused Transport Minister Eamonn Ryan of passing the buck and refusing to respond directly to the growing anger in Drogheda, South Louth and East Meath regarding the rip-off M1 Drogheda Tolls.
In a reply to the anti-tolls group Minister Ryan said that he has no role in the matter, indicating Transport Infrastructure Ireland have responsibility for the tolls. This response has further angered the toll campaigners.
For that reason, a further local public meeting is planned for Drogheda on Thursday November 16th,” said Frank, who is inviting all Councillors; Senators and TDs in the Greater Drogheda Area as well as key community and business representatives to attend so a full discussion can take place on how to successfully tackle this growing problem.
Frank is delighted with the support the campaign has received in the weeks since it began as a protest at what he describes as the “high handed” approach taken by Louth Co. Council when they closed the historic Boyne Obelisk Bridge for repairs that are likely to last a year.
He also suggests that Transport Infrastructure Ireland have taken a “Pontius Pilate” approach in stating that the bridge closure has nothing to do with them.
“As the song says ‘we shall not be moved’ said Frank, adding “the Anti-Toll Campaign is gaining momentum with hard pressed commuters now demanding a complete end to the “rip-off” local toll that treats motorists in the Greater Drogheda area as “second class citizens” compared to motorists in smaller towns such as Dundalk and Balbriggan who don’t have to endure local tolls.
Frank says that some Drogheda motorists who have been paying thousands of euro for more than two decades are now mobilising for a bigger campaign that aims to finally end this discriminatory toll which treats motorists in the Greater Drogheda area as “second class citizens”.
Last month Frank led a delegation to Leinster Houseand presented a petition of over 1,000 signatures to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar; Tanaiste Michael Martin and Green Party Leader, Eamonn Ryan (who is also Minister for Transport) as well as Minister Darragh O’Brien, calling for the removal of the Drogheda M1 Tolls.
Responses received from each of the above referred the matter to Minister Ryan who, in a reply to the anti-tolls group, stated he has no role in the matter, indicating Transport Infrastructure Ireland have responsibility for the tolls.
