Advertisement For Arc CinemaAdvertisement For Drogheda Credit UnionAdvertisement For Gerry's Fresh FoodsAdvertisement For O'Reilly GlassAdvertisement For Smiths Of DroghedaAdvertisement For Floor StyleAdvertisement For DL_APP_Android
  • Advertisement For Sherry Fitzgerald Lannon
Wednesday, 10th January 2018

Man has lucky escape from fire in derelict building in Duke Street

Front Page

Fire Service personnel at the scene of the fire at a derelict building in Duke Street this afternoon. Photo: Andy Spearman.

A homeless man had a lucky escape this afternoon when he managed to escape unharmed from a fire that had broken out in a derelict building in Duke Street in Drogheda.

The man, who was thought to be living rough in the building, managed to escape from a first floor window and was reportedly uninjured.

The alarm was raised at 1.00 pm by men operating a car park across the street after they saw smoke billowing from windows in the building which is a former school and has been derelict for many years.

It is thought that the fire started as a result of an electrical fault in the building.

Personnel from the Fire service, and Gardaí were on the scene within minutes and quickly got the blaze under control. Workers from ESB Networks were also there to make the building safe.

Cllr. Frank Godfrey who was at the scene at about 1.30 pm, told Drogheda Life that he though there were about 10 men sleeping rough in the building some nights.

He said that he had been raising the issue of people sleeping rough in derelict buildings all over the town and the dangers of just such a fire occurring but he said he had not been listened to.

“It’s shameful” he said, “… luckily enough nobody was hurt but it could have been a lot different, someone could have been killed.”

Get Drogheda Life App on Google Play!

Get it on Google Play

  • Advertisement For Drogheda Arts Festival
Advertisement For Arc Cinema
Advertisement For Drogheda Credit Union
Advertisement For Gerry's Fresh Foods