Advertisement For Gerry's Fresh FoodsAdvertisement For Smiths Of DroghedaAdvertisement For O'Reilly GlassAdvertisement For Droichead Arts CentreAdvertisement For Floor StyleAdvertisement For Toccata House Music SchoolAdvertisement For Arc Cinema
Advertisement For Autopoint
Wednesday, 9th September 2020

Council gets €367k to improve homes for elderly and disabled

Front Page

Deputy Fergus O'Dowd.

Funds can be used for grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms, setting up a bedroom downstairs or extensions in cases of overcrowding 

Louth County Council is to receive state funding of €367,408.07 to improve housing stock for older people and people with a disability.

Local TD, Fergus O’Dowd said the funding is part of an €18 million nationwide package announced by Government to improve housing conditions.

“The Disabled Persons Grant (DPG) Scheme and the Improvement Works in Lieu of Local Authority Housing Scheme are administered directly by Louth County Council” O’Dowd said.

“Exchequer funding meets 90% of the cost of the works in each property, with the local authority providing the remaining 10% (€40,823). In total €408,231.19 will be available for the schemes in County Louth” he explained.

“The DPG Scheme provides funding for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock for older people and people with a disability and is designed to help make life at home a little easier.

“For example the funding can be used for items such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms, setting up a bedroom downstairs etc. The scheme also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding in a home.

“In addition, funding is provided under the Improvement Works in Lieu of social housing scheme (IWILs). This allows local authorities to improve or extend privately owned accommodation, where the applicant has been approved for social housing. It allows those who are otherwise eligible for social housing to remain in private housing and for enhancements to that housing.

“This funding is designed to improve housing conditions for those who need it most and will help people to live independently in their own homes for longer.

“This will also try to address issues of overcrowding in existing social housing stock, while improvement works on private homes in lieu of social housing also provides an alternative for those currently experiencing overcrowding in private accommodation.”

Get today's local news straight to your mobile. Download the Drogheda Life App now!

Get it on Google Play

Please support Drogheda Life 

Drogheda Life has brought you the local news every day since February 2012 highlighting the achievements of local individuals, community organisations and businesses.

This is a labour of love but to improve and widen the scope of our service, we are appealing to readers for their support.

If you appreciate what we are doing perhaps you would consider making a financial contribution?

If you value getting your local news on a daily basis from a trustworthy source you can make a regular payment or opt for a one-off donation.

Thank you!

Please support Drogheda Life by taking out a subscription

We are reaching out to Drogheda Life’s readers to seek their financial support so that we can continue delivering the local news every day and providing a platform for discussion of local topics.

As a Drogheda Life subscriber you will be supporting our efforts to bring you the local news on a daily basis and to provide a platform for discussion on local topics and issues of the day

Drogheda Life is here to support the people of the Drogheda area and to publicise their efforts within the community. Please fill in the form now. Thank you.

Donate Now
Advertisement For Gerry's Fresh Foods
Advertisement For Smiths Of Drogheda
Advertisement For O'Reilly Glass